LD rides

I don't want to be flamed but don't really care if you do.  Some times I
like to to an LD ride just to give my endurance horse a break and have a
little fun.  I will push him because he is mature, fit and it is for fun!
I don't care where I place it is just a break from 50's.   But most of the
time I ride an LD to get a young horse ready for his/her first 50.  I like
to do 2 - 3 LD rides before their first 50 but I don't really think it is
necessary if your horse is mature enough and fit.  When I am doing a
training LD, I just ride however the horse feels and use my own judgement
how fast or slow and if I come in first, fine and if I come in last fine.

I do try to always practice trail etiquete.  If a horse is acting up I
will slow down and walk past until either out of sight or the rider says
he/she is okay.  I call out when I come up behind someone and I will never
be in such a hurry to pass that I would force my way past in dangerous
conditions.  On the Grand Canyon ride this year, some friends and I were
going up a single track trail with a couple of other riders ahead of us
and we were all walking and there really wasn't any room to pass.  We just
relaxed and waited until things opened up and then passed but a couple of
other riders pushed us all off of the trail and barged passed without a
howdy do.

Personally, I think you should have your horse under control before going
on an endurance ride but there are always exceptions (first time etc.) so
we should all use common sense and be alert to riders who are having
problems and help each other out.