Trailer Loading and Training

Maryben writes:

>>I made sure to watch that because when I used to show horses, Jimmy Williams
>>was THE TRAINER.  He was also one of the best riders I ever saw.  People used
>>to laugh at his sugar cubes, me among them.  I have a friend who trains with
>>carrots.  She trained my horse that way.

Jim writes:

Over the years I have watched people teach (or attempt to teach) horses
to load.  I guess whatever works for a particular individual is great if
you're happy with the results.  IMHO, there is more to this subject than
just getting the horse on the trailer.  Food should not be
required....either in your hand or in the trailer..to get your horse
on.....this won't work with all horses.  The horse should also be taught
to get on....and off...in a controlled and relaxed manner and get off
ONLY on command.  A horse who stands there bumping his tail against the
butt bar then rushes off as soon as the bar is down is extremely
dangerous to himself and his owner. You should be able to drop the butt
bar and walk away....even if another horse is on the trailer and gets
off first.  Under normal circumstances, you should never LEAD a horse
onto a trailer...you can get stepped on if the horse rushes forward or
panics because you have limited space to get out of the way. In one
instance I know of, the horse got on the trailer, then tried to turn
around to get off, trampling his owner badly....and this was a calm
horse.  Best method is to lead the horse up to the entrance, toss the
lead line over his neck, kiss and ask him to go forward into the
trailer.

 I use two methods to get Sunny off the trailer. I walk up beside him
,untie, then slowly back him off.  Sometimes I will let him get both
back feet off, then ask him to get back on. This is not the safest way
for reasons described above and I only use it in a slant load.  I wanted
Sunny to be comfortable with me up there with him in case he was ever
injured or entangled in something where I had to go into the trailer to
cut him loose. The normal way is to untie him from outside, then tug on
his tail when I want him off.  Again, I may ask him to get back on
sometimes before he is all the way off, using a "go forward" cue to ask
him to get back on.  If you do this enough, he will naturally come off
slow, cuz he is anticipating that he might be asked to stop and get back
on. (You teach him half-ons/half-offs when initially teaching him to
load)

FYI, the "go forward" cue is also useful in many situations.  For
example, when tailing, you roll out of the saddle, unclip one rein, ask
him to go forward and fall in behind.  Ever wanted your horse to go
first while you held a tree limb out of the way? I added another gear to
my "go forward" which is "go forward at a trot".  Sometimes I wanted to
tail at a trot up gentle hills.

Anticipating a lot of travel and mountainous riding, I took it several
steps further with Sunny.  You dread the thought of an accident
happening, but you can't ignore the possibility.  I practiced loading
with the trailer on a slant to either side and with the nose up and
down.  In an emergency, would you be willing to take your horse off
alongside the interstate?  If your truck/trailer is in the ditch, can
you get your horse to back off under those conditions?  Are you afraid
to take your horse off when you travel because you might not be able to
get him back on?  This could be a life/death situation for your
horse...OR you.

When I travel with Sunny, I want him to be comfortable and arrive as
relaxed as possible.  He has become an easy rider, although I wish he
would drink more, and one of his favorite places is truck stops.  He
really likes hanging out the trailer door while I refuel, watching the
big rigs.  He really likes those big ol'
"semi-double-clutching-dual-shifting
E_flat-tractor-trailers-with-a-bend-in-the-middle". The noisier the
better!

I take him off after 4 hours, then about avery 3 hrs afterward.  He
enjoys the break, a chance to walk around sniffing stuff and stretching
his legs.  He never pees on the trailer, but waits until I take him
off....it's almost automatic now. There's lots of places to do
this....one of my favorites is a WalMart Super Store...usually a HUGE
parking lot and you can just back up to the curb in a far corner. Truck
stops also usually have a big rig park in back you can use. Watch out
for broken bottles and other debris in these areas.

<Flame on> (DON'T FORGET TO TAKE ANY HORSE POOP WITH YOU...BE
CONSIDERATE WHEN YOU DO THIS,,,,DON'T SCREW IT UP FOR THE REST OF US!
<Flame off>

Usually there is a sprig or two of grass there.  Sunny is a really
personable little guy and loves kids. Sometimes you will draw a crowd
consisting of all the kids in the parking lot and their Moms.  Have
carrots handy.  (Once I was asked to leave because all the attention
Sunny was getting was obstructing traffic!)

If you want a method of teaching horses to get on a trailer that works
every time with every horse, get John Lyons' book called "Lyons on
Horses".  You can order it at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/038541398X/qid=980097819/sr=1-10/ref=sc_b_10/107-1718218-4418930

I think there is also a video tape available. This is probably
worthwhile if you are not experienced at training techniques. I love
John's philosophy, even if I do modify it radically at times for my own
use..."You must be safe, your horse must be safe, and the horse should
be calmer at the end of the exercise than when you started".

Keep in mind, that it requires patience and persistence.  Some horses
will figure it out in 2 minutes....others may take two hours.  But if
you do it this way, then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, trailer loading
will become a non-issue and at the end, you will have a horse that gets
off and on easy and you will have learned some useful cues along the
way.  (All your friends will compliment you on your "really nice horse
with such good trailer manners").  You don't have to tell them what a
s**t he was during the learning phase! :)  The down side is, once people
learn you can do that, you are in demand....but not for the easy horses.
<grin>

Training is very important in Endurance and its the small things that
you anticipate and train for can be the difference between injury or
being safe, winning or losing.   Last year at Big South Fork Three Day
150 first day, Susan Kasemeyer and I were riding together in front on
the first loop. About a half mile from the first vet check, Sunny threw
a front shoe.  He stood like a rock on a narrow trail with riders
streaming past him for me to put on his Easyboot. We caught up at the
vet check and eventually won the ride....because of a simple thing like
teaching him to stand quietly....even when excited.

Oops...I'm getting verbose again....gotta quit doing this! Sun's
out....snow's melting...Sunny and I are gonna go boogie thru the bushes!

Jim and Sun of Dimanche