Re: barefoot - proteins not toxins

I believe what the person who talked about toxins is referring to is actually proteins.I'm reviewing my copy of Lifetime of Soundness by Dr Strasser (a section talking about the negative effects of contraction, p 164):"-reduced horn production, causing an excess of proteins in the bloodstream (that would normally be "used up" in horn production); this must be eliminated by other organs (skin and kidneys, etc.), overstressing them"then goes on to say how this also leads to a predisposition for laminitis, skin problems, general metabolic problems, disruption of liver function (can result in frequent colicking)Hope that clears that up - with all of the negative effects I can see why she thought "toxins"!

Sorry, still doesn't hold water.  Even at an incredible growth rate, horn tissue doesn't require much amino acids, and the difference in protein requirement between marginal and exponential rate of hoof growth is neglible in the big picture.  I doubt you could even objectively measure the difference.  Furthermore, there have been (real) research studies observing whether excess protein in the diet increases stress on the kidneys, and it doesn't, unless other pathological changes already exist.  Same as for liver.  I'm a pretty strong proponent of not feeding endurance horses high protein for other reasons, but they have nothing to do with feet.

I know it all sounds good, but it just don't work that way.

Susan G