RE: Re: Barefoot

Gene,

Have you checked into the many different types of other hoof protection,
such as Old Macs, Swiss Boots, etc.?

Since I'm not sure how much of this thread you have caught thus far, I'll
just say that I have a Peruvian Paso gelding that I am conditioning for
endurance riding barefoot.  There are a couple of things to consider; first,
hoof growth *does* eventually catch up with the rate of hoof wear, but it
takes awhile for that type of growth stimulation to happen, and not everyone
has the time to wait for that to occur.

The "barefoot movement" that is only being advocated by just a few
Ridecampers does require a lot of time, money, patience, etc., so don't
believe those idiots who have the audacity to say that we're promoting this
to save a buck or two here and there.  Between the money spent of clinics,
books, rasps, hoof knifes, sharpeners, truckloads of river rock, gravel and
concrete pavers, embracing the barefoot lifestyle doesn't usually come
cheap. Not to mention the at times agonizing hours spent hunched over your
poor, patient horse's hooves, trimming away!  There is an amazing amount of
things that go into it, and not everyone has the time, opportunity or
inclination to pursue this correctly for those very reasons, and therefore
hoof protection alternatives become a necessity.

Second, while there are certainly instances where hoof protection is
desireable and needed, I  happily advocate for the use of boots over shoes -
any day.  Their traction is superior, they still allow for the expansion and
contraction that occurs in normal, healthy unshod hooves, they still allow
for proper frog stimulation and hoof mechanism, there are no nails in the
hoof wall to impair circulation (it's amazing how vascular the hoof wall
is...) and best of all, you're not at the mercy of a farrier (notoriously
unreliable, unfortunately!  unless you yourself are a farrier, and in that
case, I hope my apologies for such generalizations are accepted!) to put
them on and off.

So, there you go... we're not all trying to convert folks, but we do hope
that others at least seriously try the alternatives before abandoning all
hope and reverting back to shoeing their horse. And I didn't mention
eazyboots because, well, they're not particularly easy to apply, and they
don't always stay on!  I'm trying to decide between Old Macs and Swiss boots
for next season's backups, and it's a toughie... if I had the money, I'd try
both, but I'll just be happy that I have the time to make an informed
decision before I absolutely need them.

Best of luck with your riding and your future 50's,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR