From: SandyDSA@aol.com
To: ridecamp@endurance.net ; caballos@worldnet.att.net
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: RC: Fibromyalgia

HiNina,

I hate to be the one to say so but I have a good friend who has this diagnosis. I would be happy to help you any way I can.
I call it a diagnosis because, as much as I love my friend, I think she has let far too many people tell her far too many things that she can't or shouldn't do.

Last fall after a prolonged, WEIRD illness, 2 blood pulls showed a marker for Lupus. Well, while I was pretty well knocked on my tush, I thought, that would explain the arthritis I have had since I was about 16 years old. Didn't make it go AWAY - just made it made it make sense. Now I have developing arthritis in both hips, hands and fingers; wrists, and now in my spine. So as the pain increased TWO years ago, the less I was active. When I would run o ride, the pain was just excruciating, So I did less and less of it.

Then my new friend Lisa Schneider and her darling hubby - well, they weren't having any of THAT:) and so slowly I took up their challenge - to get back into shape so that my back would NOT throb! Over about 3 months i found that after 3 miles of riding or a mile of running, the pain began to subside. Now I can run about 3-4 miles, ride 30 or 40, and though at times it does hurt - just happens, I don't know why - for the HUGE majority of the time, I don't let it stop me. I keep on top of any developing pain or tightness, and of course try to get enough rest (Yeah, sure my boss says!)

Nina, for one thing, this is a DIAGNOSIS - and probably not the only one. If you would like to come over, you and I can go for a walk or ride and chat about it for a while.

You know, if I didn't love Shel and Lisa for the terrific friends they are, I would love them for changing a very special part of my life - I have always been so active and to be told to slow down - well, THAT didn't set well. They have encouraged without judgment and supported every step of the way, cajoling when needed, and always ALWAYS caring. For that I can never thank them enough! So Nina, let any of us who are able help find your way with you - there is too much to gain by doing it - not to!

Sandy