People diet for endurance - people who get headaches

Rae,

I really empathize with you. Part of my problem as I progress through
conditioning and competing has been struggling with the post-ride headaches
as bad as what you describe. (I get migraines too.) Here's what has provided
relief for me:

- drink a lot of ambient temperature water; not cold
- dilute the gatorade 50% and add salt or eat something salty (I like Chex
mix)
- eat bananas or something else containing potassium
- eat or drink something with a small amount of caffiene (chocolate is good!
or a can of Coke or Diet Coke)
- eat protein for beakfast (I eat chicken leftever from the previous night's
dinner), plus grain cereal with minimal sugar in it with milk

The most important things I must do are:
- take a sinus pill like Drixoral 12 hour or Advil Cold and Sinus. I can
then breathe through my nose and thus lose less water. Also, maybe the fuzzy
tongue feeling makes me drink more. :-)
- consume dairy foods (I can't drink milk from a glass, but I sure do crave
dairy when I exercise so I eat yogurt, ice cream or cheese. Ice cream or
cheese seem to work better, maybe because of the fat in it?)
- get enough sleep (I take Tylenol Nightime Sinus or Tylenol P.M. so I can
sleep soundly at camp (BTW, the sleep aids haven't hindered me from waking
up when appropriate, be it an unsecured horse or get up for the ride)
- consume what you crave, no matter what it is! Take something of everything
to the ride!

I no longer get the post-ride headaches after 25 miles. I'll be trying
either a two-day 50 or a 50 mile endurance in a couple of weeks, so we'll
see how I do.

Deanna