Re: are electrolytes a must?

>drinks at a ride.) But there are people who are doing >very well at rides WITHOUT supplementing elytes. I >crewed for a very experienced rider at Swanton 100 this >year and her instructions were to put elytes in a bucket >of water and offer it to the horse, if the horse didn't want >it she didn't get elytes.

How does this count as not getting e'lytes?

And I agree with what Karen was saying...unless you have lab data to confirm it, there are *alot* of riders (not all) that think they know what's going on with their horse, but really don't.  I have a stack of lab data on 100-mile horses sitting on my desk right now and I can unequivocably say that there are alot of riders that weren't even close when they thought their horse was five by five.  Not to say the horse was on death's doorstep, but there's alot of gray area between 'fine' and 'death's doorstep' and it's those in between steps that will dictate whether the horse is still going to be fine five years from now.

Susan G