Re: bitless bridles

Hi!  I have a fairly sensitive horse, and I ride him in a simple sidepull
with a soft noseband.  He also goes very well in a rope halter, though the
sidepull seems to be more comfortable for him, just because it fits
better.  He has no trouble eating and drinking in either one.  I've never
tried it, but I'm sure he would be OK in a regular web halter as well.  My
feeling is, you should ride in whatever your horse is most comfortable in
that still allows you to communicate effectively.  A bosal was too much
for Cola, and I wouldn't even think of trying a mechanical hackamore on
him--I don't think the nutcracker action would agree with him.  I haven't
tried a crosspull ("bitless bridle") either, just because the sidepull
works so well.  Even when he's fully "on" he responds well to it.

I don't have much advice for a stronger horse--probably a bosal or
mechanical hackamore would work better, though the crosspulls seem to me
like they could be pretty severe if you pull hard (thin straps).

Hope this helps.

Abby
& Cola (just don't put that bit back in my mouth...)