From: BE [mailto:betndez@budget.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 12:31 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Where does UAE stand? from Angie

One of my most vivid impressions of the WEC in the UAE was going into the stadium guarded by armed guards--there to prevent terrorism.

Heidi

    Yes, mine too, and thanks for pointing this out.  That is an experience that probably most in the U.S. have not had. . . attending concerts, ball games, any large public gathering, and being surrounded by men with weapons.  During my years of traveling in developing countries, several in Africa as well as Southeast Asia, it was first scary and shocking to walk along streets or enter buildings being faced with men holding big guns at the ready (I don't know what kind but some looked like machine guns and others looked like elephant rifles) pointed at my chest.  Amazingly, after awhile I got used to it and hardly gave them a glance.
In time people, like horses, become inured to almost anything.
Is there a message here for us?
Betty Edgar