virus warning (not a hoax -from my sys admins)

Just got an email from our sys admins about a new virus that
attacks MS internet explorer and MS express mail pgms. Check
your virus protection source or the microsoft page and protect
yourselves.

Teresa (so glad this is not a netscape/Linux virus)

FYI.
Note that this description is more limited than some others I have
read,
indicating to me
that the full nature of this virus are not yet certain and this
description is
not to be
completely trusted.
-myron

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html

...W32.Nimda.A@mm is a new mass-mailing worm that utilizes multiple
methods to
spread itself. The worm sends itself out by email, searches for open
network
shares, and attempts to copy itself to unpatched Microsoft IIS web
servers. The
worm does this using the Unicode Web Traversal exploit. A patch and
information
regarding this exploit can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms00-078.asp.

Users visiting compromised Web servers will be prompted to download
an .eml
(Outlook Express) email file, which contains the worm as an
attachment.

Also, the worm will create an open network share on the infected
computer,
allowing access to the system.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..