Re: RC: Re: Re: The beauty of democracy

In a message dated Tue, 18 Sep 2001  7:53:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Beth Gunn" <happyhoofprints@hotmail.com> writes:

> Do you think his followers, I don't know what else to call them, will let us
> bring him in?  I don't think they have any laws of their own and surely wont
> respect ours, the people they hate.

I doubt that we are realistically looking at bringing him here and having an American-style trial.  The main point is being sure to examine evidence and get the right guy(s).  Also, I think it may be important HOW we go about this, if we want to get rid of terrorists without starting WWIII.  And of course, trying to trigger us into that is part of the terrorist agenda as well.  This is a new form of warfare for us, and it is gonna be a real steep learning curve, I fear.

>Are they teaching teenagers
> in high school what this conflict is all about?  I hope so.  Apathy is
> becoming a real problem in our U.S.

No truer words were ever spoken.  And again, the sorts of fanatics perpetrating last week's outrage are banking on that.  I don't think they realize that America can look pretty apathetic but get un-apathetic in a hurry when attacked...

Heidi