Re: Mare tie-up/Question?

Nina, there's an article on my website about tying up at
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/  Unfortunately, the kind of tying up
you're describing isn't easy to firgure out, since it's not something
obvious like dehydration or overwork.  Yes, I would try cutting down or
eliminating the rice bran, though I doubt it a problem.  Try replacing those
calories with some good quality corn oil, adding fats to the ration is
helpful with some horses.  Make sure you're providing salt and that she's
actually getting it (I once had a client with a horse that was showing all
the signs of salt deficiency, we couldn't figure it out until we found a
rattlesnake hiding out under where the salt block was).  Make sure you warm
up *really* slowly and make sure the tack fits---I know that sounds funny,
but pinching off blood flow can do funny things.  Also, see if you can find
a *good* equine chiropractor to check out her spine.  I know that sounds
funny, too, but Cato had what seemed like a minor injury that had
concidentally messed up his back.  He had terrible problems with "tying-up"
until I found a chiro, who straightened him out literally like magic.  It
was amazing and I'm normally pretty skeptical about magical cures until
proven.  Anyway, worth looking into.

You can also try supplementing with some DMG an hour or so before you ride,
but be aware it's on the AERC forbidden substance list.  If you do try DMG
for trail rides, don't bother supplementing it daily unless you're
riding---the body doesn't store it and it's a very small molecule, so will
whiz through the system pretty quickly.

Good luck,
Susan G