RE: Re: Weak Loin

Title: RE: Re: Weak Loin

Beau used to have a nice level back at one time with no dip behind his shoulders.  I started conditioning him, he lost weight, he had bad saddle fit and bad balance problems.  Now he tends to have that dread dip behind the shoulders.  I don’t think this was just a genetics issue. He was halter bred, and has that tendency, but if I knew then what I know now, he wouldn’t be having the problems that we went thru.

I had him shod with wide web shoes and that helps a lot – did you check into this? Good farrier work is critical for a horse like this.  Last year I was able to work with my farrier and get good results, but moved this year and having problems with farriers, and therefore problems with balance.

I also found that his back gets a lot stronger with some good rounded canter work uphill.  But you may have to take steps backward, not ride and do ground work to build the back up again.  I was given this advice, and it was the best advice.  I also started riding with a ReactorPanel saddle and that has made an awesome difference.

Just finished a tough 50 at the Ride and Tie Championship in Euer Valley on Beau.  The new farrier put on shoes with too much “grab” (not the wide web flat shoes) and he got B’s on gait and impulsion consistently from pre-ride vet to post-ride vet.  He normally gets A’s.

But we finished with a horse with weak loins. Beau hasn’t been sore in his loins for a couple of years. No swelling in his legs at all despite all the rough, rocky footing.  And I don’t ice his legs afterwards (yet).

Great ride – I’ll write a ride report soon.

K.