Crewing, Friends, and Perspective

This from my best friend, best crew guy, and Kentucky Redneck Gabe
Buckler... and the person most likely to send me something like this
when I lose my perspective, my sense of humor, and forget my roots.  It
reminds me that even in times of trial and tragedy, we need to take time
to laugh.

From Gabe..

A friend of mine passed me this story.  I certainly can't vouch for the
validity of the tale, but it still makes for a good smile, regardless.
Would not surprise me at all, however, to learn that it is true.  It
reminds me of my late high school days back in Meade County, KY, when a
high school buddy of mine, Martin Sipes, and I used to get a six pack of
adult beverages, a couple of flashlights with fresh batteries, either
our gigs or 22-caliber single shot rifle and an old grass sack (Red "A"
Feed sack, normally) during the summer and go traipsing off to local
farmers' ponds.

**************************

This story appeared in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:

Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup
truck left the road and hit a tree near Cotton Plant on
State Highway 38 early Monday morning.

Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38 of
Little Rock, are listed in serious condition at Baptist
Medical Center. The accident occurred as the two men
were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip.

On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck
headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that
the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had burned
out. As a replacement was not available, Wallis noticed
that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly
into the fuse box next to the steering column. Upon
inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to
operate, and the two men proceeded on eastbound
toward the White River Bridge.

After traveling approximately 20 miles and just before
crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated,
discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The
vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the
pavement and striking the tree. Poole suffered only minor
cuts and abrasions from the accident, but will require
surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a
broken clavicle and was treated and released.

"Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston
shot his nuts off or we might have been dead," said
Wallis.

"I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the
world," said Deputy Snyder, "but this is a first for me. I
can't believe that those two would admit how the
accident happened."

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife,
asked how many frogs the boys had caught, "and did
anyone think to get them from the truck."

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic