Weak Loin

Whatta great week.  :(

I don't have anything to bitch about compared to the people back East, but
here's my current dillemma:  My first and only arab, the one I bought to do
CTR and work up to Endurance has a problem with loin weakness.   He's an
off-the-track ex racer and my trainer and I have had problems getting him to
put his head down when excited (i.e. at a ride).

We went to a Linda Tellington-Jones bit, which has solved that little
problem.  However, every ride I've taken him on so far (I've had this horse
since February) he's had moderate to severe loin soreness.  We just got back
from a ride in OK, and he's so sore, you can't even touch his back (on the
near side, the off side seems fine) without him dropping out from under your
hand and/or threatening to bite.

Am I pushing him too far to fast?  Is this a problem that's only going to
get worse?

I'm waiting to get in at the local equine hospital (they think they can see
him sometime next week) and have him on Bute morning and night.  I tried
liniment, and that only irritated his skin.

Last time this happened, I had an equine chiropractor out and she suggested
exercises, demanded that we get his head down and demanded we get another
saddle.  We got a custom, form-fitted-to-his-back saddle, got the Linda
Tellington-Jones bit and did the exercises.

He improved dramatically and I thought he was ready to try another ride.

Guess I was wrong.  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.