I have a horse question

Off the subject of terrorism, because I simply cannot stand anymore, I have a
question about my colt.  I bred him hoping he would be the sire in my
half-Arabian breeding program -- he's an Appy.  He has very correct
conformation, great feet, incredibly smooth trot, etc.  I was hoping for a
horse that would give me color and toughness to go with my Arabians'
endurance for great endurance horses.  Anyway, he's a yearling and we showed
him and either he did great and went grand or reserve champion over the aged
horses, or he was dead last in the class.

The trainer kept telling me from the beginning that I needed to geld my colt.
 Even though my colt was beating the trainer's colt, the trainer still
thought my colt was not good enough to be a stallion.  So, I went to pick up
my colt this weekend and he has no testicles.  Trainer says he never had them
and that was part of the reason he needed to be gelded.  The colt had one (I
thought) down when he left but that was a good many months ago. Now, he is 16
months and shows no interest in mares.  He does the baby mouth thing at mares
and would rather eat grass than socialize.  My vet cannot palpate anything
and says the colt shows no signs of any stallion characteristics that she
would expect at this age.  We're running a testerone test, but I'm wondering
if anyone else has ever experienced this?  Do horses ever just hit puberty
really late?

Rhonda