Re: RC: Personal experience with Sierra Club and other eco groups

In a message dated 9/11/01 1:27:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

For years I've been greatly distressed that many well-meaning equestrians
have often alligned themselves with Sierra Club

You do not have to marry the SC!  There are times I have found myself on the
same side of the table in support of a land purchase, and then, on the other
side of the table because they want to delete equestrain use from the
purchase! No I don't send them $$$ , I subscribe to the e-list because it is
free, and I can be kept up on land issues within my state before word ever
hits the equestrian circle. Equestrian trail users are one of the poorest
organised user groups.

Several years ago when I started attending land management meetings the
hikers were the only organized group with any clout.  Now, the off road
bicyclist, the ORV users, are all out their organizing their people together
to attend meetings and lobby for usage. We as equestrians on a whole are a
powerful group but when we start dividing ourselves into all our separate
disciplines we lose ground.

I personally like to allign with whoever has the same goals, when the line
splits I'll go my own way, but I haven't married the SC, or anyone else, for
life!

Jackie Baker
Florida