hydration and hay type

Susan, I like alfalfa hay. My horses like alfalfa hay. I have been feeding strait alfalfa and T&A for 8 years and nairy a problem. Am I lucky or am I just getting crappy hay? When I read that feeding strait alfalfa will make a horse urinate more than if fed grass hay, it makes the urine smell like a strong ammonia yada, yada, yada, I just don't buy it. I have 6 horses that I can watch all day long. I have yet to see that "research" pan out in my back yard. I clean the stalls everyday. The 2 darkest horses drink the most water and pee the most, no matter what they are fed. Over the summer, I fed coastal for about 2 months, still the same amount of output from those two as with alfalfa. The only horse who has a strong ammonia smell is the mare when she is in heat. Didn't happen when she was fed strait alfalfa ( no grain) throughout her pregnancy and while nursing, nor did my colt who was fed strait alfalfa along with nursing until he was 6 months old. Most of the alfalfa hay I have gotten doesn't have much more protein than the high protein commercial feeds. I hate to see it get such a bad rap. It is so green and fluffy and smells soooo good! I would definitely like to see the research that supports more urine out put on horses fed strait alfalfa. I would also like to see the comparison of protein in commercial feeds and how it is utilized against the protein in alfalfa. Any leads on that Susan? Lisa Salas, The odd  FArm  We do have better things to talk about besides pee. But what the hay?