Re: Choke: Was Nutrition of Carrots?

> Susan,
>     I've heard some stories of riders having a problem with horses choking
> on carrots during a race.  A lot of riders I know are afraid to feed
carrots
> during a race for this reason.
>     Do carrots presnt more of a risk of choke, and--if so--is it better to
> break them up into small pieces or feed them whole so the horse can break
> them up himself?

Yes, I've heard of that, too---I do think carrots can cause choke (as can
any feed) especially if the horse is trying to chew around a bit, and trot
on down the trail at the same time---just too easy for the carrot not to get
chewed properly before it's swallowed, or for bits to get aspirated if the
epiglottis doesn't work quite right.  I don't think those are sufficient
reason to not feed carrots, but I do think it's a good argument to not ask
the horse to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time---just hand them out
at a water stop and wait a few seconds until he swallows, and try to break
up the big, tough pieces.  Cutting the carrots up into smaller pieces is
great, though I never seem to be organized enough myself to do (at best, I
bite off pieces).  Not having to ride with a bit of course makes it alot
easier for the horse to chew, but I'd never ride a horse that needed a bit
without one just for the sake of eating carrots better (guess I've seen too
many idiots proudly claiming they always ride their horse in nothing but a
sidepull as it rears, bucks and crowhops its moronic way down the trail).

Good luck, Dabney  :-)))

Susan G