melanomas in greys

I know that others have mentioned the fact that most melanomas in grey horses
are not malignant, however, when they are and cannot be removed, they will be
fatal. I had a grey mare with a melanoma on the neck. It grew under the skin.
Although gradually the melanomas took over her body, it took many years. The
vets said that melanomas like that in horses take a lot longer to metastasize
than in people. She was eight when it was diagnosed by biopsy and 16 when I
had to put her down. Basically, the tumors begin to block normal bodily
functions, and quality of  life is compromised.

I wonder if the homozygous grey, the grey that turns white rather than turns
speckled or flea-bitten as they age, is more prone to this problem.

Susan