Re: RC: Temple Grandin

In a message dated Thu, 6 Sep 2001 12:43:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Antoinette Smith <broknbel@compuwise.net> writes:

> [Dr. Newell wrote:] Have to say I am extremely skeptical of anyone who thinks Temple Grandin  doesn't know more than just about anyone else about slaughter and livestock  handling, and I sincerely doubt that one day of trying to pull the wool  over her eyes, even if it were attempted, would be successful. The woman  has way more than one day's worth of experience here.   --CMNewell, DVM
>
> I can understand your faith in Temple Grandin considering her "qualifications".  For a person with her handicap, she has done amazing things, but attending  college does not add to one's common sense, rather, it tends to add to  one's buracracy. I have read both sides of the story and I cannot  dismiss all of the eye witness reports of rescuers who frequent New Holland,  who did so before Temple was there, while she was there, and after she  was there.

College may not add to one's common sense, but it can certainly give people who HAVE common sense more tools with which to use it.  This is not a matter of "faith" bu a matter of recognizing when someone puts in the time and effort to try to ascertain the actual facts, and tries to make some scientific sense of them, versus the people who claim to be "eye witnesses" who have no credentials or understanding of cause and effect, alternatives, etc. and who choose to put forth their agendas by means of emotion.  I do not personally know Temple Grandin, but I do appreciate people who try to deal in the facts.  All the emoting in the world does not define problems, nor find solutions.  The horse slaughter issue is a highly charged emotional issue, and a great many people (whose sincerity I do not doubt) do far more harm than good with their refusal to look at the realities and the alternatives.

Heidi