Reactions to cuts etc

Question to throw at our vets -
I have a 3 year old mare who has the worst possible reaction to any type of
scratch , cut or wound. The site swells badly and usually spreads to the
limb - she spikes a temp (41) and it can take 3 days of aggressive treatment
to go away. She is up to date on tetanus etc and the wounds are always
cleaned immediately , and now she also gets a 3 day antibiotic course with
probiotics thrown in .Could this be just genetics or is it possibly a form
of low resistance, no antibodies or a shortage of some kind of mineral etc?
I have 20 horses and have cared for many more and have never seen reactions
like this before. She gets a commercial horse feed, lots of roughage(24/7
grazing plus teff), alfalfa , and free choice salt. Of course she is also
one of those horses who finds things to hurt herself on!!!. I have no idea
on the quality of our grass as it seems difficult here in SA to have it
analysed - actually haven't found a place to do it yet(but also haven't got
any other horses who have any problem like this - also no selenium problems
as far as I know.
Anybody have any ideas??

Regards,
Cindy Budler

Marketing Information Analyst
Afrox Fabrication
Germiston
South Africa
Tel : 011 876 1179
e-mail:  Cindy.Budler@afrox.boc.com <mailto:Cindy.Budler@afrox.boc.com>

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for
the presence of known computer viruses by the MessageLabs Virus
Control Centre. However, it is still recommended that you use
local virus scanning software to monitor for the presence of viruses.