NATRC

I have been reading allot of the posts concerning the Norco Ride and have resisted in getting involved in the conversation, but can't any longer.

I feel for the ride manager of this ride as I personally know what a tough job this can be.  Sometimes, no matter what precautions are taken stuff happens.  It sounds to me like this ride manager acted very responsibly and despite some unfortunate things occurring, did a good job providing a fun, challenging ride, for all you riders. It sounds like the thing about people taking on their own responsibility for their actions applies here.

How NATRC or competitive trail rides got into this conversation I'm not sure, but let's think about this a moment.
Everyone marches to his own drummer.  There are all types of competition in distance riding and each has it's own challenge.   I personally think that organizations like NATRC are a good training ground for good solid endurance riders, if that's what they choose to do.  This is a proven fact--look at how well some NATRC riders did at the Tevis last year.  Some riders never want to move into endurance, but find challenges in competitive trailriding itself.  Does that make them any less the rider.  Are you tougher because you want to do 10 miles an hour then someone who chooses to meet a different challenge?  I don't think so.  Some of the best and toughest riders I know are seasoned pleasure trail riders.  I know some endurance riders who are very intimated by the challenge of trail horsemanship, does that make them softer.  No, they just prefer something different. I think that's great, but why do you find it necessary to even compare. I'm getting a little tired of whenever a question like this comes up it's time to start bashing those of us who enjoy a different type of challenge. AERC is trying to help educate people interested in getting into the sport, but there is always room for improvement.  I personally never found much real help--lots of friendly people, yes--not much education.  Perhaps I didn't look far enough. Instead of arguing which is better, faster, tougher, perhaps we should be looking at improving and preventing situations like these from happening. Doesn't mean it will ever be 100 percent safe, but like was said--that's part of the challenge.

BTW, my mare can go 10 mph or 4 mph. Whatever I want to her to do. I don't consider myself soft. I just don't have a desire to do 50 miles in 3 hours or whatever. Doesn't make what I like to do any better then what you like to do or me a better horseman or vice versa. Distance Riding is what "does it" for me, no matter what kind. We all enjoy the most beautiful creature God every created--let's just leave it at that.

Kathy Calanni & Peeples (very mellow, pregnant Arab mare!)