Fit to Continue (Was: Norco Ride)

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Somebody said:

> I feel that the key words that have been forgotten are "fit to
continue".
> Under the conditions of the ride maybe the vet felt that none of the top
ten
> horses were fit to go on.

If this were the case, the ride vet not only should not have
awarded a BC award to any of the top ten finishers, but none
of these horses should have gotten a completion, since AERC
rules quite clearly state that horses must be judged as "fit
to continue" at the post-ride veternary inspection.

If, indeed (I wasn't there so I don't know, and even if I were
there I wouldn't presume to make such a judgement), none of the first ten
horses to to cross the finish line were fit to continue, then they all
should have been disqualified and the
next ten horses to cross the finish line would have been
the "Top Ten."

I am going to assume that the head vet is aware of this rule,
and rather felt that the criteria necessary for winning a
Best Condition award requires that a horse be in much better
condition than just "fit to continue."  If so, I quite agree.

kat
Orange County, Calif.