Re: RC: Re: psyllium

Although I am new to everything, I thought I would throw my .02 cents in
here.
 I feed my mare about 6#s wet beet pulp (read on the list feed as much as
they will eat) and she gets free feed coastal hay. She lives in a deep
sand lot for right now. We plan on putting her in a larger area, but
being under oak shade trees, we have a hard time growing grass here.
 I have only had her about two-three months now. We are exercising at
LEAST every other day. I have not tested her feces with the water and
zip-loc bag thing yet. I had been paranoid about sand colic, so I asked
my vet. I must add here that I feed my horses on a pallet with a ply-wood
piece for the round bale of hay for the mare. I also turned over a pallet
for her food and water bucket, so she can't eat any grain that falls into
the sand. This way ALL their feed is off the ground and has less chance
to get sand into their food.
 Okay, I mentioned in another post that my wonderful vet recommends 1/2c.
Metamucil once a week. He also said that horses on a sparse grass pasture
are more at risk than horses on a sand feed lot. My vet gives his horses
Metamucil. He buys it at a local flea market out of date. He has never
had colic problems.
 Hope this helps someone! :0)
In His Hands,
Lisa P.
www.outbackacres.com
The Aussies:Possum, Boomer, Dusty, and Barley
Chat room ICQ #111639534