Re: RC: RE: Arabs to slaughter

In a message dated Thu, 30 Aug 2001  3:04:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Kathy Mayeda" <Kathy_Mayeda@atce.com> writes:

>  I used to laugh about people scouring slaughterhouses for their next big winner- but now Im not laughing as much. Even if the motivations may be a little off-base, at least theres a chance for a rescue.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of horses enroute to slaughter do not have the potential of a Red.  In fact, Red and his relatives were rescued precisely because people who knew they were slaughterbound also knew they had potential.  Where the real wakeup call is needed is among so-called breeders who do not bother to educate themselves beyond who is the hot market "sire du jour" and who are willing to produce thousands of horses with conformation that severely limits their ability to even be comfortable saddle horses and discard those who aren't the current show-ring caricature that is called "living art."

Heidi