Norco Injury-vet secretary view

Well..I am gonna write a longer ride story later, but I read the post from the guest who was concerned about the lack of vet attention at the ride to the horse bleeding to death and will tell you exactly what happened.(Because she pissed me off)     I was at vet check one with Heidi and Hugh and Fred had been there. We had three vet checks to do that day. Horses were coming into vet one, and there were 150 horses. There were a number of them with problems, (panting, questionable thumping, lameness's) and our vets were closely and carefully observing them . The previous day we had spent five hours checking horses, and Saturday the vets worked their asses off from 5:00 a.m. until about 6:00 p.m and maybe later.  They did not stop to eat and drink, I being the vet secretary, concerned myself with bringing them water and gatorade and fruits periodically because they were so engrossed in their work.  We got a call that the horse was bleeding, and the vets were talking that they could have held the entire ride up at the base camp in order for Fred the head vet to go and treat that horse. We also go the vet from the Chino Hospital (Kristy) who interrupted her schedule at the hospital and was also treating some colic horse who was not at the ride. She helped us at intervals. We got two vets who were riding to finish their ride (25's), and they helped us at the base camp. Rebecca and Cindy I think? Sorry if I get the names wrong.  We were all cooking in the heat, and one of the horses at vet check one, went from being a "Panter" to being a "tieing up/colicky " variety animal.  So we had one vet treating that one, one vet checking the other 100 horses and  Fred went back to base camp to check the bleeder.  Also I may add that as a Registered nurse, I find that people are astonished and terrified by the sight of blood. Humans can donate a pint of blood without harm and horses can donate a gallon (Heidi told me)  The  vets and Lynne Glazer were right on top of that situation via radios, we had "eyes in the field" assessing the situation (gee that would be like a paramedic at a accident which we will discuss more later!!)  The "eyes" assessed that it was not a pumper,(arterial) and they were able to administer first aid in a timely manner to that horse.  Also it would be useful for new riders to learn a little first aid, because no..no vet is gonna get to your horse in the middle of the slogging swamp in five minutes at any ride.  All riders should carry  something to make a pressure bandage. Vet wrap?  Gauze? It's doable. Hell, rip your shirt that works too.  Those vets worked their asses off all day long, Heidi drove all the way from Idaho to help out, and they were a great bunch of folks to work with and learn from .  I tell you, I will never again listen to anyone flaming a ride vet for laziness or  for not moving fast enough, 'cause that is just BS.        Stay tuned for more exciting Norco stories..   Beth Glover