Re: RC: Helmets...spooking

  "C. Eyler" <eyler@mindspring.com> wrote:

Rode yesterday for about 3 1/2 hours...

My friend, Kathy Crothers, and I also rode yesterday on the Indian Territory trail around Lake Oologah in northeastern Oklahoma.  We too met several pleasure riders.  While we were the only ones wearing helmets (on our seasoned endurance horses), everyone we met on trail was SO nice and thoughtful.  If we met them on trail, whomever was in the most appropriate spot would move over and let the other pass.  When we came upon some folks walking, we slowed to a walk and they moved over and stopped to let us pass.  When we got a ways from them, we continued our ground-covering trot.  This was a wonderful day to ride!

How can this business get away with having its customers, including the
young summer campers, ride without helmets?

On our foxhunt's liability policy, all involved in a foxhunt event MUST wear a helmet.  There is no stipulation as to ASTM/SEI approved or harness but protective head gear must be worn.  I would think most liability policies would have something simular.  However, while riding with consumer stables such as the one at the KY Horse Park and several others in various states, not a one of them had helmets.  That seems silly!

My dear friend, Sue Crews, was killed last year when she fell from her seasoned endurance horse whil at a walk on a conditioning ride.  She had brain damage and died several days later.  Like you said, Cindy, the tamest of horses can go off in a flash.  There is NO such thing as "bombproof".

I hope you enjoyed your ride as much as Kathy and I enjoyed ours.

Susan Young Casey
Glenndale Grace Farm
Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do You Yahoo!?