Re: RC: Trail Safety

In a message dated Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:54:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Linda Flemmer <bluewolfranch@yahoo.com> writes:

> My husband has a variety of cavalry instructional
> manuals in his book collection.  I'll ask him to see
> if they mention water horses on campaign in there as a
> formal recommendation.

While it would indeed be interesting to know if they have a formal recommendation, in a great many situations in which the cavalry found itself, at least out here in the West, there simply WAS no water while on the march.  Routes were often carefully planned so that at least there would be water in camp at night.  In some battle situations, one's horse simply went dry.  Often the speed of the march was dictated by the presence or absence of water.

Along that vein, far too often endurance riders forget that when faced with limited water, they can always slow down...

Heidi