Re: Riding as a Team

----- Original Message -----
From: goearth
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 10:56 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: RC: Riding as a Team

I know this one will set some stuff off but here goes.  I think riding horses as a team, especially young horses, takes the strain and emotional toil off them.  They do better IMO when they have leaders to follow being herd animals.  I use as an example the French and how they rode as a Team and their success at the last WEC in France.  I also use as an example the way Potato rode w/ his 3 horses w/ the young one in the center all day on the Tevis and the center young horse got BC. If we as a Nation would do this i am convinced we would some day win a Team Gold.  But in the past its been everyone in the lead for themselves and searching for individual glory. I speak this because i was on the only USA Team along w/ Jeannie Waldron, Mike Marino and Victoria Varley  to win Gold in Europe in 1987. Tho we have done well as Individuals that Team remains to this day the only FEI Team Gold won by this Nation abroad. tom sites
Ah, the French.  Everyone loves the French; without them where would we have gotten the Statue of Liberty?  Of course, let's not mention the fact that they do eat horsemeat over there. And then there's that issue of riding crops which the FEI no longer allows.

I try and find a team to ride with at most rides.  Especially on that first loop, I want to slow Dance Line down.  At one ride I did solo last year I did run into a group of young girls, led by a very brave woman who was their sponsor.  I got behind them, not allowing Dance Line to pass.  We trotted, walked, trotted, and rarely did we hit a canter, for which I was grateful.

The leader would announce any change in gait.  She'd say, "Girls, do you want to trot?" The girls would all answer an enthusiastic "yes," simultaneously.  It was just adorable.  And I'd chime in with my, "yes ma'am."  My deep male voice always got most of them to look back to see who this interloper was.  After a few miles I did feel a part of the group, and I really enjoyed the moment.  I was part of a Girl Scout troop movement, on horseback, and loving every minute of it.

You can always find a team to ride with on the endurance trail, even me.  If I can find one, I know ya'll can too.  And it doesn't even have to be a team that's assigned; it just forms all on it's own.

cya,
Howard (two more days and I'm outta here; I got sweet Georgia on my mind.  I hope Bernie brings his TV so I can watch Condit explain his interpretation of family values.  I hope he's been watching some of Bubba's old tapes.  If Gary wants to learn how to cry and beg forgiveness, nobody does it better.)