water crossing

Angela,

Take your horse to a ride. I'm serious. As a coming 5YO, my mare refused to
cross water or mud without a hissy fit. Friends talked me into trying a
novice CTR despite this problem. it was the best thing I could have done.
Sensing (or smelling) the horses ahead of her, she zoomed through every
puddle, every bog and I haven't believed her hysterics about mud and water
since. (This is a horse who initially balked at water filled hoofprints.)

Lots of wet saddle pads (time spent in the saddle) have helped as well as
making it more work for the horse NOT to cross the obstacle (circles, figure
eights, backing, lateral work). Have you tried backing the horse into a safe
water obstacle? That's worked for me too. Spin 'em around once they're
already in it to face the direction you want to go. (Assuming you know the
footing is safe.)

I do let the horse sniff mud. It seems that they can detect the depth by
doing that and pick the best route. They have to learn that through
experience.

Advice from an equitation POV would be to make sure the horse is responding
"hot" off of your leg. Although  a little helpful, that advice wasn't nearly
as helpful to me as what I just shared.

Whatever you do, introduce the water concept slowly. (Leading, treat
training and clicker training are good ways to introduce the result you want
without undue pressure.) There are two mud and water filled gullies on trail
near my barn that still strike terror into my mare's heart simply because
they were too much for her at too young of an age and I tried to bully her.
She now routinely slogs and skips through mud/water obstacles that are much
more difficult. These two I still have to work to get her through and it can
be a very scarey ride. I've ended up with my backside in the mud more often
than I care to remember.

Deanna (Ohio)