Re: Re: RE: Trail Riding Safety

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lucy C Trumbull" <elsie@foothill.net>

> But for some reason, one of her riding buddies also decided
> to withhold water altogether (I wasn't clear why? - this was
> after riding at Point Reyes, which has vertical hills, right
> Karen?). Funnily enough, the horse colicked and they had to
> get the vet out.

Kimberly could comment more accurately on the hills, but the main problem I
see  is that while the horse camp is about
8 miles from the beach, there is a good size ridge inbetween.  Nothing
significant to seasoned endurance horses, but many, many people run into
problems by bring unconditioned horses; and want to head to the beach.
There is a progressin of problems, the long ride over, horses that don't
drink from the trough at the coast, they run the horses on the beach or get
them hot and upset by trying to force them in the ocean; then the haul back
to camp is steeper, and often in the hot sun.  It is also more humid there,
than many inland areas....You then see a whole lot of people that bring hot
horses in and hose them down...

It's not unusual to see a vet in camp at night.

Karen