Re: RC: RE: Trail Riding Safety

Bob Morris wrote:

> Marv:
>
> You cannot stress enough the importance of wearing a helmet designed for
> equestrian activities....

The normal non-helmet-wearing person's comment is "But I look
stupid in a helmet", to which, of course, the correct response
is "you'll look stupider with a permanent head injury".

My quickie list for avoiding incidents on the trail:

* remove your martingale when taking the horse in the river
  to prevent drowning when he trips and hooks himself up in
  it and can't get his head above water
* make sure the horse has a halter/halter-bridle on, so that
  if you need to tie during an emergency, you can
* don't tie the horse to something he can uproot/drag away if
  you do have to tie. Things not to tie to include skinny/dead
  tree limbs, twigs/ large buckets of water, bales of hay, rickety
  fences, other horses, etc.
* don't crowd the back end of other horses - ESP. ones you don't
  know well (I just heard three stories this weekend of horses/
  riders being kicked from crowding other horses)
* make sure all members of the party are comfortable with the
  pace - don't just take off galloping, leaving your friends
  with bolting/bucking horses

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@foothill.net
Repotted english person in Garden Valley (Sierra Foothills), CA