Over Reaching

My gelding has a very long stride and clips his front feet.  The farrier will
be here tomorrow and I'm curious about what approach to take.  He has
suggested changing his foot gradually so steps to the side.  Also it has been
suggested that he should square off the rear toes.

What is the best approach for a horse that's covering a lot of miles and has
a great fast walk and trot?

Thanks.

Kathleen