Stumble...trip....stumble..OOOF!

Hello ridecampers! I know this problem isn't necessarily about e-riding but, to me, this fourm/listserve has the most knowledgeable people, and I need help!! Please feel free to e-mail me privately.

My mare, she's gaited, seems to trip and/or stumble quite a lot. For example we were on a 6.5 mile ride last night, racked about 1/3 of it, walked the rest. She did 2 pretty decent head-suddenly-to-the-ground-make-your-heart-stop-for-a-second-OOOF type stumples, and probably a good 3 very minor doesn't-upset-your-balance-but-you-notice-it trips. We were riding on our neighborhood roads which are made of hardpacked dirt. She's been doing this, really, since I bought her, and the final straw (to cause me to ask for help) Is that last weekend she finally went down on me. We were riding the roads at night, switching back and forth between a rack and a very very slow lope when all of sudden my horse is gone and I'm launched. We both laid on the ground a second, shook our heads (yada-yada-yada) got up and, though both sore for a few minutes, we were ok.

Does this sound like a problem to ya'll or just a S***T happens and she's being lazy?? I'd really like to go to Far Out Forest in October (LD), but I'm starting to get a little apprehensive.

Some more background for analyzing:

- the dirt roads near our house, are of course, not completely flat, but not a lot of major ruts and we ride around them.

- when we ride in new places, and at the Presevre near our house (sandy trails) she doesn't seem to trip much more often than an average horse would IMO

- There does not appear to be any lameness issues (when she is off she will not rack/running walk well, and she did it for 2 miles like a dream last night......no problems at all when I palpate (?) her back)

- Most of the stumbling occurs at the walk, but mind you she does not amble, she's 1/2 TWH and walks like one. (speed wise)

- She pretty much stumbles the same amount whether after a fresh trim or not

- She'll trip in a relaxed head down moment and in head up looking at something moment.(when she totally fell, she had her head cocked suddenly at one angle to look at a funny gate)

- I am 5'8" and 210 pounds. She is 14.3 hh and about 900 pounds. I do not feel large on her at all....but just wondering if it could still be a factor.

I thank you all profusely for your neverending supply of information. I would never even consider this sport if it weren't for ridecamp.

Patti

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic, but it's been a good life all the way"- Buffet