Re: Show and Tell

> Jim : >>He's 4 1/2. We just stay out forever, graze here and there, walk,
walk, walk.....8-10-12 hours>>

Jim, just a thought here....do you mean riding (on his back) for 8-12 hours?
I would worry about that....since current thought is that the back matures
the last.

> On the colt subject - one person, on hearing that I had bought the colt,
wanted to know when I plan on putting a saddle on him.  I was speechless for
a long time and then the person went on to say that they saddle and pony at
6 months, break in at 1 ½  with a light rider, and by the time the horse is
3, they're doing 25s and at about 4 ½ they're doing 50s!!!!

Kristene, actually, I put a very light saddle on my filly when she was a
little over a year.......not as bad as it sounds, it is an old Sport saddle,
about 11 lbs.  She is going to be a big girl, and I have been doing as much
hands on handling as I can before she turns into a giant!  I brought her
home at 5 months, and at 6 months started hauling her out for very short
trail rides, following a very experienced and calm mare.  We ambled, went up
and down little hills, grazed, and did lots of water and obstacles...only 20
or so minutes at first, working up to about an hour the first year.  Since
my turnouts are only 3-4 acres, I wanted to get her out several times a
week, and checked this all out with the vet.  She got used to bikes, deer,
birds flying up, rocks, mud, creeks, you name it.

When I started with the light saddle, it was only to add "funny" things;
saddle bags of cans, plastic bacs, dangling straps, etc.
She never seemed perturbed at all.

Anyway, longest she has been out, her second year, is maybe two hours, still
ambling pace, sometimes being ponied, sometimes following loose....I keep
getting folks asking me why I am not on her yet (15.1 and stocky-she is
Arab/QH), but I will keep this regimen for at least the next year, no need
to increase any distance until her knees have closed, is my thinking.
I'm NOT thinking in terms of CONDITIONING, even though I know all the steady
exercise and hill climbing is helping her to develop....but more in terms of
trail experience. She has been horse camping also.

Again, maybe some short, light riding at age 4, but still more emphasis on
ponying and just going along.  Heck, I have 4 other horses to ride and
condition, no need at ALL to rush riding this one!

Karen