Slow walker

Hi all,

Am looking for tips/trips/training techniques on how to get
my mare, who is a VERY slow walker, to speed it up a
little.  I'm tired of trailing along behind when out on a
trail ride, and am afraid that constant nudging with my legs
will make her numb to them eventually.  When I do give her
leg, she might speed up for a few steps, but slows right
back down... how do I get her to WAKE UP?  Sheesh!

If I pop her with a crop lightly, she'll break into a trot,
but as soon as we're back down to a walk she's back to that
slow plodding pace.  My old horse had the greatest fast
walk..I miss it so much!

This mare is always one extreme or the other.  Either hyper,
spooking and raring to go (on cool breezy days), or on lazy
days, plodding along like a rental stable nag....LOL

I'd really love some consistency.  *sigh*

Thanks
Jennifer