Expert pulse help needed

Folks, I've managed to have a problem that I don't know how to solve. I have a  10 YO
Morgan stallion and we've been riding CTR for 6 years. We have never had a problem pulsing
down to 44 even at a very hot 100.

He had Lymes last year. Don't know if that's important. And he had about 5 months off.

We were doing great at the rides until a recent 50. At the 1/2 he pulsed down to 44 in 10
minutes. At the end, we had a bit more trouble but got down to 52.

Now this past weekend at a 30, I could only get pulsed down to 60/40 at the 1/2 and at the
end could not pulse down in the 20 minutes. In 20 minutes he was still 80, respiration was
24. His pulse did continue to go down and he did come down to criteria for the 2nd check.
He was hot, and I had to put lots of water on him. And he'd had lots of water put on
during the ride. The day was about 87 with high humidity. But, this has never been an
issue before. He was not overly excited or pulling and we just rode our normal ride
finishing at the maximum allowable time. He had electrolytes the day before the ride,
morning of and once during the ride. He's a bit more chubby than I would prefer but not
really fat.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Dolores Arste
eCommerce Technology, Technology Integration
Phone - 518.882.6485
Fax - 518.882.5366
eFax- 208-379-1088
Cell phone - 518.461.3470