horse eating mud/dirt

My arab always looks forward to our visits out on the trail to stock tanks (ponds).  Not so much to drink, but he just loves to eat (yes, takes bites of it) the mud right around the water.

He appears to be healthy and is well fed, so I keep wondering why he is doing this.  I have wondered if there is some algea type thing in the mud that he likes, or if perhaps it acts to detoxify him somehow.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ