Re: RC: reply to NATRC Swanton by Guest

In a message dated 7/27/01 11:12:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

See, this is my biggest problem with NATRC. I view CTR as a way to compare
the fitness levels of the entrants. IMO, the fittest (BC) horse should
win. That's at the heart of why I don't like or do NATRC. (And why CTR
organizations will likely never be under one umbrella.) Too slow to stress
the horse and the rules don't truly determine who's got the horse in the
best condition at the end.

Deanna, where have you been getting your information about NATRC?  I'm
curious as to why you assume that NATRC is too slow to stress the horse and
the rules don't truly determine who's got the horse in the best condition --
that is exactly what they are intended to do and what they, in fact, do.
NATRC also stresses a horse's trail ability and capabilities; however, that
is only a very small (15%) portion of the total score.  The Open Division (50
miles) definitely puts your horse to work -- mentally and physically.  In my
experience, NATRC is an excellent preparation and compliment to endurance
riding.  The two go really well together and I thorughly enjoy both during
the same ride season.  I use the NATRC rides to condition my horse for the
Tevis each year.

Hope this doesn't come across argumentative -- not my intent.  I just react
when people make blanket statements about NATRC when they don't really
understand what its all about.

Sylvia & Harca -- 2,000 each NATRC and AERC miles -- 6 Tevis buckles