Re: RC: athletic horses

Hi June
What is often overlooked in the Varian lines is the fact that
Huckleberry Bey offspring have done very well on the track. You do have
to watch out for an offset left knee from time to time but then every
breeding program has it's less than perfect conformationed offspring.
The offset knees haven't stopped Sheila's horses from being champions in
halter classes nor western pleasure nor English--- in fact, show me more
than a handful of English champions that DO HAVE good conformation in
the front legs!
Yes, you can have pretty and athletic--- we do (see our web site)
however, we choose not to show in halter anymore due to the incredible
cost and the CHANCE for cruelty (although there is a movement out there
to stop it). There are times I look at Sheeza, though, and am itching to
show her off in the ring---- it was REALLY exciting when we used to show
and win. We are hopeful that the sport horse classes still give winning
points for some amount of classic beauty combined with athletic ability.
After all, we have many racehorses that are SUPPOSED to be purebreds but
who look, move and run like the "T" word--- so what is the point of
having "Arabian" races. The imports we have had no more represent the
breed in many cases than Anglo-Arabs--- (now why would that be???).
And then what is pretty to one, is another breeder's cull so go figure.
Just breed what you like and if you find enough buyers who agree with
your taste, you're in business. Madonna is not the greatest singer in
the world, either. who can pinpoint popularity?!
Bette (who is tired from her new 8-5 and wants to get home to her horses
every night!)
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov
(Yes, really 16.2!)
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com