Re: RC: RE: Bloodlines

In a message dated Wed, 25 Jul 2001  4:43:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Corbelletta, Antonio" <Antonio_Corbelletta@affymetrix.com> writes:

> Funny you should mention "unconditioned".  Having done the halter thing too,
> I was surprised what they mean by conditioned for halter.  All it means is
> that the horse is FAT.  They feed it non stop to get it to put on weight and
> then teach them to stand and park and bend the neck.

"Conditioning" the halter horse is all too similar to "conditioning" the feedlot steer for slaughter.

  If you took a
> conditioned endurance horse in the ring they would  NEVER place.  They are
> too thin.

Ironic, considering that the best endurance horses are not thin to speak of--they simply are not fat.

It is interesting how inconsistent people are between what constitutes a healthy horse and what constitutes a healthy person.  If being overly upholstered is so "beautiful" on horses, why don't our Miss America candidates weigh in somewhere around 175#?  We have figured out that people are healthier if they eat right and are active--why can't people grasp that the same is true for horses?

Heidi