Re: RC: Vet Criteria (was Barney/Valerie)

I don't think Lynn was addressing in any way tighting the vet criteria for
your garden varity AERC ride, but what would need to be done if endurance
does in fact end up in the public sportlight which would be on the world
chanpionship or olympic level. The FEI ride critera are in fact stricter
than what we are used to experiencing at our local rides. The way the rider
is allowed to interact with the vet at FEI championship rides is much
different than we are used to.

I agree that rider education is a key factor, but at the upper levels where
it is in fact a race, the vet must function as an advocate for the horse and
an official of the race much as the referee functions in an NBA basketball
game to be able to dismiss a rider if necessary. Even in local rides the
vets must (and do according to the rules ) have the authority (and be
willing to use it ) to interceed on the benefit of the horse and pull a
rider.

I have been pleased that over the past several years, at least in the SE
region, the number of treatments has decreased and I don't remember the last
serious treatment I have seen. So I don't believe we have a serious problem
at the local AERC level - however, the article in the June EN on "changing
the pay scale" suggest otherwise. I do believe there may be problems at the
high profile FEI rides such as the world championship that need addressing.

Truman