Re: Bone???-and Arab type

----- Original Message -----
From: DVeritas@aol.com

Hi Angie,
   "Good Bone," are (IMHO) two words I usually hear  as the FIRST
description of an endurance horse, particularly when it is an "endurance
rider" looking at the horse.
   I am not certain that THAT should be the first utterance from someone
looking at a horse, nor the FIRST consideration.  "A" consideration, but not
"THE" consideration.

*Hate to just do a "me too" post, but I agree that maybe too much emphasis currently is put on
cannon bone circumference.  Seems quality of bone is more important, as Frank said.  In all the
breed descriptions of Arabs, they are described as a "fine-boned" breed, with hard, dense bone.

Currently, I have been accumulating larger and larger horses, as I am 6 ft. tall, and very long legs.
I recently sold a just lovely small Arab mare, 14.2, with the best disposition, who was fairly fine-boned, purely because i felt her too small for me.

The three horses I ride now are a big-boned Arab/walker, 15.1,; a stocky, also big boned Arab/mustang, 15h;; and a 15.3 Anglo-Arab that is medium boned.  They are all good horses, but probably not as good recoveries as my original little
14 hand, fine boned Arab mare.

What happened Sunday night was a real wake-up call!  I am currently boarding a little Arab mare for a 15 year old girl.
This is an extremely cute black mare, wonderful Polish bloodlines, double Bask, but barely 14.2, slight build, and very fine boned.  ON the other hand, she is very well conformed and well put-together.  I took this girl riding, with me on the Anglo-arab, who slugged along barely keeping up with the little Arab.  On the way down the hill, we switched horses.  I could not believe how fast and surefooted this little Arab mare walked downhill.  She was quick, smooth and balanced.  From her back, she seemed a much larger horse.  She moved so well, and with such enthusiasm, that I purely enjoyed the ride, and realized that she was the perfect Arab "type".  I don't know we are improving things much by breeding for extreme size or bigger bone....

Also, I would appreciate comments on what constitures good ARab conformation.  I have seen photos of Arabs for sale in California for big bucks ($15,000 to $35,000).  To me, they have just awful conformation, with their butts much higher than the withers, and the hips too short.  Is this what is winning at halter?  I see, at endurance rides, some extremely beautifully conformed Arab athletes, and some really strange looking animals!  Anyone care to comment?

Karen