Day 34, 2001 XP

We have a really nice campsite tonight in the trees (the bigger rigs
couldn't fit in so they got a sucky campsite, awwww).  Todays trail was
also one of the best so far, with beautiful scenery, challenging climbs and
beautiful weather.  We left camp at Ruby Valley and got right back on the
pony trail and started going thru valley and over mountain for the next 50
miles, finishing at Garden Summit....along the way we stopped where the
Diamond Springs Pony Express station was for the lunch vet check.  What is
buried there (that's a statement not a ?).  This is what was on the
historical marker:

In September of 1860 Pony Express rider George "Boston" Scovell was
attacked by concealed Indians after crossing "Chockop's Pass" and riding
down Telegraph canyon.  His ride was from Ruby Station when the attack
occurred approximately three miles east of this site.

He and his horse were both hit with arrows.  The horse's name was
"What".  He got that name due to his question mark type blaze.  "What"
carried "Boston" safely to the station.  This brave horse died due to his
wounds from the arrows that day and was buried near the station.

**

Dave was there to crew for us and had already crewed for Troy earlier in
the day and Tinker was in before us but pulled so he gave her a ride to the
finish.  So then we kept him occupied crewing for the three of us -- I
sponsored Kayla and Calina again today.  We finished with a whole hour to
spare today, in about 11 hours.  It took Dave three hours of driving time
to get to the lunch check today, four hours if you count the time it took
him to stop to fill up water and diesel.

Trilby didn't ride today -- it's her birthday today and we all signed a
card and will have a party tonight at the ride meeting.  I hope she enjoyed
her day of rest and relaxation.  There are still a lot of people and rigs
here.  Each night they print up 125 maps and directions and run out -- and
are only having 30 or 40 riders ride.

The horses are both doing great :+).  Each night is another disaster
opportunity you never know what could go wrong.....keeping fingers crossed,
only 3 more days each to go!

Happy XP Trails,

Karen
...in Nevada