Swanton NATRC ride story

I just got back from the Swanton NATRC ride down by Big Basin Redwood Park
in Northern Cal.  It was a tough ride and we rode in the Open division.  We
left on Friday after I gave Mystery a bath and we arrived around 1pm for
great camping.  The camp includes a beautiful stream and redwoods with
plenty of Stellar's jays around to visit.

My old friend Sue Flagg was there with her daughter and invited us to a
potluck Friday night so I was introduced to alot of the other riders.  I
rode under 'Open' which is suppose to be for experienced horses and riders
only.  I 'kind of' knew the NATRC rules so wasn't worried.  Each section of
the trail is marked from point to point and they give you a map with a chart
telling you how much time you are allowed to each, what average speed you
should be traveling and what the distance and elevation are.

At the start each rider goes out in 30 second intervals so it is very
controlled.  Sue waited for me so we went out together.  Mystery was perfect
all day but it was tough.  Big climbs until we were up in the mountains with
the coast and ocean beneath us.  We had to keep a pretty fast pace going
with a lot of trot and then we started down, down, down.  Sue went on ahead
as her horse can plow downhill pretty fast but Mystery and I need to take
our time.

This is where I got into trouble.  I had a newly resized restuffed saddle
which was working out great.  We were going down this long stretch of very
steep shale...loose flat white rock....normally I would get down and walk
but in NATRC you are not allowed to.  Well, the saddle kept sliding little
by little over his shoulders and a voice inside me said, stop, get off.  Of
course, I didn't listen even though I know better and next thing you know I
am sitting on the saddle on his neck.  If he had put his head down I would
have tumbled forward and crashed down the hill.  I stopped him and tried to
get him to step sidewards to get off and he just could not.

So, I slid my left leg over his neck and hopped down and of course fell, as
it was steep slippery shale and I went down hard.  Knocked the air right out
of me.  Man did I hurt.  When I could get up I had bruises all along my arm
and my ribs and right breast where very sore.  I was wondering if I broke my
ribs.  I could move my arms ok, just very sore to breath and so walked him
the rest of the way down.  He was very good, just stood there when I fell
and waited for me...had a concerned look on his face too.

So this made me loose at least 10 minutes.  Things got slower as every time
I had to open or close a gate it was torture hopping down and finding
something to get up on.  We still had to trot fast to keep within the time.
At least he was perfect at the vet checks..this horse is in great shape!
The trail obstacles were 'ok' too....one made us back up between cones,
another back up a hill at an angle.  Alot of the judging is done from the
judges being 'hidden' in the trees watching you go up or down a trail and I
won't know how we did until they send me the score in the mail.

Finally, we reach the 2 mile mark and I only have 20 minutes to go.  What is
worst is it is single track trail going downhill.  I ask him to please trot,
we are almost there, and he responds.  He blasts down this trail until we
catch up with another rider whose horse also gets encouraged and blasts down
ahead of us.  Note, we hardly ever trot downhill single track trails on the
side of mountains in training rides, but this is competition and you do in
competition things you don't do everyday in training rides.  All I could do
is keep balanced, sit back and guide him to the inside of the trail and
around corners and not look down!!!  We see the river crossing ahead and he
breaks into a canter so that is how we came in, ears forward, tails up, at a
fast canter and ready for more!!  (at least he was!) <g>

Well, I vetted him out right after, his P&R came down immediately, back and
feet were fine, but I knew I would be very sore and so I was.  After a
sleepless night I knew I should not ride the 28 miles the following day,
especially since they were suppose to be worst with a climb up to 2500 feet
(and what goes up must come down!).  So I pulled and instead headed home
early.  It is nice to know he could have done it no problem and believe me,
I am now in the market for a crupper!
(purple biothane, of course!).

Comparing NATRC to Endurance...I like the controlled start and the late
start on Sat. as long as it doesn't get too hot. I also like the social
aspect of the ride where people seem to take their meals together and really
chat.  What I don't like is your pace is set for you.  In endurance you can
always go faster in the a.m. as trail and horse permits and slow a little in
the afternoon as the heat comes up.  At least you have a choice what to do.
NATRC seemed to be a fast pace all day long and I didn't like making my own
decisions on the pace.

Thanks to Emma, Karen and all the great volunteers, judges and vets who put
on a great ride.

Take care,
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab..."I didn't dump her, I swear..she jumped!")
Fairfax, CA

Kimberly M. Price