FEI stuff: Input on WEC selection procedures

For those of you who really care or have been (or would like to be)
involved in some manner in FEI/International events I am asking
for input and opinions regarding the selection of horse/rider
teams for World Championship events.

Currently this is how it is done:
 (and if I'm wrong on any of this, somebody please speak up!)

A Long List of  horse/rider teams is selected from those who
have nominated themselves. For an off-continent WEC event,
each country may field a squad of 6, and the number of riders
on the Long List can be up to 24. The Long List is usually selected
7-9 months before the event. The list is made by the selection committee
based on the past record of the horse/rider team: placement in 100
mile events (relative to event and number of competitors),
completion rate, experience (both horse and rider) in previous
International or high-profile events.

A Demonstration period begins some time after the Long List
is announced, and usually at least 6-7 months before the event.
During this time Long Listed horse/rider teams are evaluated
during events by selection committee members. Emphasis is
placed on 100 mile events. Each horse/rider team must enter
and complete a minimum of one 100 mile event. Selectors
evaluate the performance of the horse - it's placement, it's
condition after completion (metabolic, soundness) and also
the performance of the rider - crew efficiency, attentiveness
to details, ability to pace and/or understand the particular
course and competition.

After the Demonstration period closes, the selection committee
picks the Short List - a list of 12 horse/rider teams which includes
the Squad of 6, and a ranked alternate list of 6. At this point, the squad
is the group that will travel to the event unless a squad member
withdraws, in which case the top ranked alternate will substitute.

The final selection of the squad and alternates is based upon
performance during the demonstration period of horse and
rider - placement and completion as well as condition of the
horse during and after the event (all nominate horses are required
to undergo a BC evaluation regardless of placement).
 Also historical factors such as performance at previous
International or large events, overall completion
rate, overall soundness. Other 'intangibles' such as ability of
horse and rider to handle travel related stress and demands,
the ability of the rider to pilot the horse under different
conditions and circumstances. The ability of the horse to
peform under the conditions of the actual event (temperature,
terrain) is also considered, and most nominees will choose
their demonstration rides to closely match the actual event.
A good performance on a mountainous course, means little
for evaluating ability on a flat course.

The committee holds multiple conference calls to discuss each
horse/rider team and ultimately decides by vote. Involved in
the discussion and decision are the 5 voting members of the
selection committee (East, Central, Mountain, Pacific North,
Pacific South zones), the non-voting selection committee
chairperson, the Chef d'Equipe, assistant chef, team
veterinarians, etc.  The selection committee is comprised
of zone representatives which are elected by members of
 AERC International. The Chef d'Equipe and
selection committee chairperson are appointed by the
USET Endurance Discipline committee... I think. I seem
to recall instances where AERC International members cast
votes for Chef d'Equipe nominees. Somebody help me here...
I'm not exactly sure how the team veterinarians and team
farriers are selected, but I believe they also have input
regarding the selection.

Anyway - this is the way it is currently done, and pretty much
the way it's been done for the previous WEC events.

I would appreciate *serious* input - keep it the way it is? Strictly
points based?

USET needs to be able to recognize the best horse/rider
teams out of the list of nominees - and most importantly needs to have
them turn in their best possible performance *during* the event.

USET is currently evaluating the selection process. If you have
an opinion, this is a good time to express it.

Steph