Re: Finding the right bit

Hi -

I bought an ex-racer in Sept., we're working on the exact same problem.  I
went to a bitless bridle, and it's worked great for our dressage type work
(all long and low at this point).  This is a neat bitless bridle that can be
ridden with normal contact.

http://www.mossrockendurance.com/mrea/view_product.asp?prod_ID=5

My horse picked up the head lowering/rounding idea on our first session...
My trainer spent about 5 minutes with my mare on the ground and then was
able to get the same movement in the saddle right away.  To get her to lower
her head while I am riding, I keep my hands low and wide with contact, and
squeeze the reins like a sponge to cue her to lower her head and flex a
little at the poll.  As soon as she lowers, I give her a little slack.  The
instant she beings to pop her head back up, I ask her to lower again.

I am also using this bridle on the trail...  Works well on horses that are
easy to rate.

Hope this helps!  Best of luck -

Michelle
(Colorado)