Re: RC: Sneakers

Lucy,

This seems to be the problem with EN - one size fits all. Sneakers are a
shoe which can very well under some conditions and absolutely sucks under
others. They are an aluminum plate covered with urethane. They also cover
most of the sole. In dry conditions they act like a shoe and a pad and
absorb some (but probably a lot less than the makers would have you
believe) shock.

In dry conditions, like in the western states, they work fine. In
condtions that we find in the east, with wet ground and wet grass, they
are down right dangerous. Not many farriers know anything about them and
if not put on and seated correctly they will come off in a short period
of time. I walked 12 and 1/2 miles out of a ride on foot when one flew
off on a ride in Utah in the dry conditions ( the farrier said oh yes I
know all about those things), and I was half way between base camp and
the check. They are almost an inch thick so you can't put on and easyboot
and finish because of the difference between the shod and unshod foot.

Like many new innovations with horseshoes, sneakers, slypners (I've tried
those also and they don't always work like advertised) - the proof is
were the shoe hits the trail and most don't measure up to endurance
miles.

Truman

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.