gait problem

I have a horse that twists his right hind during the weight bearing phase of
his stride - his hock rotates out and his toe rotates in. What are the
possible causes? Can it be corrected? He is semi-retired because the gait
problem has caused a splint and a curb (before I knew what was going on).
                                Shelly and Jabar (the permanent backyard
spoiled arab)